The Creative Capital | Warhol Foundation Arts Writers Grant supports writers whose work addresses contemporary visual art through project-based grants issued directly to individual authors. The first program of its kind, it was founded in recognition of both the financially precarious situation of arts writers and their indispensable contribution to a vital artistic culture. The Arts Writers Grant Program issues awards for articles, blogs, books, new and alternative media, and short-form writing projects and aims to support the broad spectrum of writing on contemporary visual art, from general-audience criticism to academic scholarship.Through all its grants, regardless of topic or project type, the Arts Writers Grant Program aims to honor and encourage writing about art
- that is rigorous, passionate, eloquent, and precise
- in which a keen engagement with the present is infused with an appreciation of the historical;
- that is neither afraid to take a stand nor content to deliver authoritative pronouncements, but serves rather to pose questions and generate new possibilities for thinking about, seeing, and making art;
- that is sensitive to both the importance and difficulty of situating aesthetic objects within their broader social and political contexts;
- that does not dilute or sidestep complex ideas but renders accessible their meaning and value;
- that creatively challenges the limits of existing conventions, without valorizing novelty as an end in itself.
The Creative Capital | Warhol Foundation Arts Writers Grant Program is spearheaded by The Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts as part of its broader Arts Writing Initiative and is administered by Creative Capital.
- What is the Warhol Foundation Arts Writing Initiative?
The Warhol Foundation Arts Writing Initiative supports independent, progressive, nonprofit arts publications and individual arts writers. The result of extensive research conducted by the Warhol Foundation into the current needs and challenges facing arts writing, the initiative amplifies the foundation’s longstanding support of critical writing about the arts by focusing attention on arts writing as an essential component of a thriving visual culture. The Arts Writing Initiative takes a two-pronged approach to this task: it seeks to improve the viability of a select group of invited independent arts publications through capacity-building grants administered directly by the Warhol Foundation and to sustain the work of individual arts writers through project-based grants awarded under the auspices of the Creative Capital | Warhol Foundation Arts Writers Grant Program.
- What is the Creative Capital Foundation?
The Creative Capital Foundation is a national nonprofit organization that supports artists pursuing innovative approaches to form and content in the performing and visual arts, film/video, emerging fields, and innovative literature. Creative Capital is committed to working in partnership with the artists it funds, making a multi-year commitment and providing advisory services and professional development assistance along with financial support.