- What is the Art Writing Workshop?The Art Writing Workshop—a partnership between the Arts Writers Grant Program and the International Art Critics Association/USA Section (AICA/USA)—gives practicing writers the opportunity to strengthen their work through one-on-one email and phone consultations with leading art critics. Focusing on the craft of writing, the workshop will use participants’ writing samples as a springboard for an in-depth consideration of such issues as voice, prose style, organizational structure, and argumentation. Ten applicants will be chosen to participate.
- Who is eligible for the Art Writing Workshop?The possibility of participating in the Art Writing Workshop is being made available to all eligible applicants to the Arts Writers Grant Program who are not selected to advance to the final panel review phase of the grant selection process.
- Who makes a good candidate for the Art Writing Workshop?All eligible applicants to the Arts Writers Grant Program who wish to hone their skills and develop compelling prose that can describe and question, render complex ideas clearly, and situate art works within their broader contexts are appropriate candidates for the Art Writing Workshop.
- How will Art Writing Workshop participants be selected?Applicants can indicate their interest in being considered for the Art Writing Workshop by checking the relevant box on the online application form and stating their goals for the workshop experience. (By checking this box, applicants agree to allow their applications and writing samples to be reviewed by the AICA senior critics who are participating in the Art Writing Workshop.)Workshop participants will be selected by the critics with whom they will be working, drawing on recommendations made by the grant program’s director, the workshop director and application evaluators, who will identify those interested applicants most likely to benefit from participation in the workshop.
- Does applying for the workshop affect a writer’s chance of receiving a grant?
Expressing an interest in the Art Writing Workshop in no way reduces—or enhances—an applicant’s chances of being chosen to advance to the final panel review phase of the selection process, or of receiving a grant.